Tuesday 20 November 2012


Being a long-time lover of country music I was delighted to hear Three Card Trick's "Caffeine, Nicotine & Alcohol", the smooth tune of the acoustic guitar combined with the rougher keys typical of the rock genre provided a rather sensual edge to what could have been just another country song and made it into something much more. 

On the other hand, the band's next song, "Man, That Boy Could Play!" has a much more funky, jazz style. The rhythmic tune is very contagious and before long I found myself singing along to the chorus. Again, it's the guitar playing that really sells it to me, although it's used in a completely different way than in the previous song. 

Of course, we all like to play a little "Fast and Loose" and this song is great for getting a little pumped up before you go out. The rhythm and the lyrics just make you want to get out there and dance, and for some reason it made me want to go and re-watch Footloose, weird huh? but a great addition to the band's Rock collection all the same.

From the minute I heard the first guitar rift in "A Mile In My Shoes" I knew it had to be Blues, and then the singing began and my God, I felt like I was in some mow town club in the deep south,  the lead's voice is absolutely perfect at capturing that rough, almost smokey element that is so integrated in all great blues artists. Just over the two minute mark another great guitar rift comes in and just ties the whole thing together into the brilliant blues-rock hybrid that it is.

The final song I listened to, "I'd Rather Have Money Than Fame," was a great closer to me. It still held that great rock quality but also managed to wind it down to a slower pace and allow me to really appreciate the vocals of the band. I listened to this song so many times that I can probably tap out the beat by now. But that being said, it is a really great beat, and that combined with the soothing vocals and skilful drums leaves a very good lasting impression.

For anyone out there looking for great music with a more 1960s feel, this is the band for you.

Review  by Amy O'Neill


Check out Three Card Trick

No comments:

Post a Comment