Tuesday 27 November 2012

New to EH - Get Cubs





Get Cubs debut album 'To The Mountains' was released on November 12th and features tracks tracks such as 'Mañana' which is an upbeat, feel good song. Great for starting off the album, it really makes you want to listen, while not being too in your face. As a student, this is the kind of indie music I'd listen to while I was studying, or have playing in the background when I meet with my friends. It just gives of such a good atmosphere and really makes you feel that everything is on the up and up.

'Cinnamon Girl' is another one of my favourites due to the skilful drum beat which hooks you from the beginning. The song's slow start gradually picks up a growing beat, leading into a lovely mix of vocals and instruments that are intertwined in such a way, that you really don't know which you like best. 

'Delilah', on the other hand, starts with the complete absence of music, this however, does well to accentuate the uniqueness of the singer's voice. Again, the beat picks up pretty quickly with more mechanistic vigour than the previous songs.

'I Can't Tell' is very rambunctious, the beat is faster and, while the musical rifts are more defined it does not hinder the vocalist in any way. The result is an energetic, somewhat rowdy dance track.

Track 7, 'Plastic Parade' really strips things back to the basics. The two most noticeable elements being the lead's voice and a very well played guitar. I find myself drawn back into the indie feel that is very present throughout the entire album, very soothing yet still up beat. It's not your everyday genre, but real genuine, thought provoking music. And yes, the instrumental drum beat at the end of the song may be the best thing I've heard in a long time.

The final track on the album, 'Lucy' is a perfect closer. The mingling of vocals and music does well to soften the track, it's not as boisterous as the other songs on the albums, and even at it's most energetic periods the song still holds some subduity, which I think really shows what the band is capable of. 

Personally, I'm not much of a CD person myself, for me my ipod is my life, but this may just be the album that turns things around for me. After what I've heard it's safe to say that I will most definitely be purchasing a copy of the album for myself very soon. 

Review by Amy O'neill




Check out Get Cubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment