Thursday 6 December 2012



Amazed was I-and slightly aghast- that ‘Low Signal’ (at the time of writing) appear to be but one lone ranger; a Matthew Gasparic, from London, according to the info on their Sound Cloud page. I was also mightily impressed, considering the full racket that ‘Low Signal’ makes!

When I first wrapped my listening gear around ‘Low Signal’s’ tracks on Sound Cloud, I closed my eyes and could almost visualise the band; how each member looked, acted, played their instrument, jammed with the rest of the gang, on stage; I could smell the chemistry between them, down to the sweaty towel wrapped around the drummers shoulders- everything! A whole rock and roll circus flashed into my mind, rather than the image of a sole musician, huddled in front of his computer with a small arsenal of instruments close at hand.

Hearing the two compositions on Sound Cloud, ’I wanna rock you’  and ’ Inner senses’, it is clear that ‘Low Signal’ make good, solid, no nonsense, well-constructed indie rock .No (apparent) sampling of cement mixers, or experimental twists on the dub step genre, make up the portfolio then-at least, not on the two tracks here.

What shines through, though, is that this is clearly a sound that comes from someone who is not only very talented, but loves music- probably to beyond the point of obsession.

Another element, that captivates me slightly more than anything else about the music, though, is Gasparic’s voice; the sound and manner of which isn’t too dissimilar to that of ‘Primal Scream’s’ Bobby Gillespie.

Of the tracks I have heard, there is something wonderfully uncomfortable about how the elegantly wasted sounding vocals snake their way across rhythmic guitar lines, and between (guitar) solo wig outs, which all saunter above tight rolling bass and drums, (but mainly in the last third of the songs, with regards to the wig outs, that bring each composition to an almost anthemic close).

The lyrics themselves are, to me, slightly offbeat, slightly catchy, slightly poppy- and slightly throw away. Far more random than directly literal, they seem to have been crafted to fit abreast the music, rather than the other way round-and, coupled with the vocal deliverance, work well with the tuneful whole, to do what, in my mind, good music does best-which is to ignite the cerebral cortex with atmospheric imagery and feeling, as your ear holes hoover up the whole sonic plethora!

Ultimately, listening to this band makes me wanna skive off work for a couple of days, meet up with me mates, get exceedingly drunk, smoke fags and stand around in a hip pair of shades aiming to look like I'm drop dead cool - trying to impress girls, and getting kicked out of indie clubs for dancing like The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from ‘Ghostbusters’, convinced that I’m guitar music’s answer to John Travolta.

Surprisingly, this project currently seems like a really low key affair. At the moment, ‘Low Signal’ have less than a handful of followers on Sound Cloud- and, unless I’m mistaken, scant exposure anywhere else!

This is all a bit of a travesty, really, and begs for a few hungry questions to be readily answered. Is there an EP? Is there an album? Has Mr Gasparic constructed an exciting live band-or is he going to get one together to play live with? If so, are they gigging-and where?

In short, ‘Low Signal’- I want to hear more!-and in spades, now that I’ve heartily consumed a fill of the two tantalising scoops currently on offer!

Review by Sam Slattery


Check out Low Signal


No comments:

Post a Comment